Carers under stress

Carers under stress

Carers under stress

According to research published this month, almost 8 million informal carers across the UK are under significant stress and financial strain, – 15% of the population see themselves as informal carers, and 10% have been informal carers in the past.

So a quarter of the population is or has been involved in caring for someone without being paid for it, or with limited financial support. If this is you, and you are struggling financially or feel you have limited leisure or educational or personal time, you may be able to get services from the Council through a Carer’s Assessment. If you need some help with applying for Carer’s Allowance, or with going through a carer’s assessment of your needs, or with getting a food parcel, or managing debt, we can help you with this.
We can also directing you to cheap or free products and services you can use to help make ends meet.If you think we may be able to help, Contact us.
Check out Wolverhampton’s Carer Support website and service to see how they can help you. You can find carer’s support here>

Bereavement Support Service

Bereavement Support Service

Bereavement Support Service

Wolverhampton City Council with partners such as the Hospitals Trust runs an excellent accessible Bereavement Centre from the ground floor of the Civic Centre, next to the Registrar for Births, Deaths and Marriages.

The centre is open on weekdays from 09.00am-4.00pm

The centre can help you with registering a death, burials and cremations, benefits and tax issues, and housing and other council services.

The aim is to allow you to sort out all the things relating to a person’s death in one place, including helping you to send back things like the driving license of the person who died.

Bereavement Centre, Wolverhampton City Council, Civic Centre,
St. Peter’s Square, Wolverhampton, WV1 1RU
Telephone: 01902 554992

Fax: 01902 554987
Textphone: 01902 555770

Getting an advocate

Getting an advocate

The Wolverhampton Advocacy Service is a free professional advocacy service for adults from any of these groups:

Disabled People
Family Carers
Older People
People with substance misuse issues

You must be a Wolverhampton Citizen to get the service.

How to get an advocate

Your assigned advocate can come and see you at a time that suits your needs. We can make appointments between 9am and 7pm in the week, and on Saturday mornings.

Someone like a social worker or family member can refer you, or you can refer yourself, by contacting us by web form here>


Contact the advocacy project at
One Voice

tel 01902 810016


Or fill in a form on our website:

The Care Act 2014

lady_and_carer_with_mirrorThe Care Act comes into force in April 2015

It makes some changes to care rights and responsibilities.

The Guidance published by the Government has been consulted on, but the final guidance has noot yet been issued.

This page will be updated when the guidance is finalised.

Rights for carers and ‘cared for’

Personal Budgets enshrined in law



Transition to adult care/ continuity

New powers for the chief inspector of social care

Funding & charging reforms  (A cap on personal ‘care costs‘ of £72,000.)

Integration & Partnership working