GP/nurse-led out of hours service

GP/nurse-led out of hours service

GP/nurse-led out of hours service

If your GP surgery is closed, you can get urgent out-of hours medical help from Wolverhampton Doctors on Call. This is only available if your problem is urgent and you cannot wait until your GP surgery is open.

The service runs and runs between 6.30pm and weekdays and all day on weekends and Bank Holidays. Doctors on Call is based at the Phoenix Centre.

Phoenix Centre
Parkfield Road,
Telephone:0845 1451800

The Phoenix centre is a walk-in centre in Parkfields that can be reached by bus  – the bus service number 26 stops outside. The 558 stops on the Dudley road (about 100m away), and there is accessible parking.

The service is open 10am-7pm Monday to Friday, and 10am-4pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

You may be referred there by the out-of-hours GP service, or you can use it as a walk in service, for the following:

  • minor cuts, bruises, burns, scalds, head injuries, or insect bites
  • muscle and joint injuries such as strains and sprains, back pain, tendonitis
  • coughs, colds and flu-type symptoms
  • headache and dizziness
  • stomach ache, indigestion, constipation, vomiting and diarrhoea
  • ear, nose and throat problems including minor infections, sore throats, earache
  • eye problems such as conjunctivitis and styes
  • skin complaints including rashes, minor allergic reactions, scabies, head lice, nappy rash
  • genito-urinary complaints
  • pregnancy testing/advice and referral, the ‘morning-after’ emergency contraception pill, sexual health/lifestyle advice

Showell Park Centre
Opening hours: 8am – 8pm seven days a week including bank holidays.

The Health and Walk-in Centre, based at Fifth Avenue, Low Hill, WV10 9ST.

Tel: 01902 446711 provides general GP facilities as well as being a walk-in centre (no appointment necessary) for minor illnesses and injuries that do not need hospital treatment.

People attending the Walk-in Centre do not need to be registered with the practice to use this facility.

Bus Service number 2 runs from the city centre to Fifth Ave.

The Walk in centre can be used for the same types of injury as the Phoenix Centre (above)

NB – this walk in centre is a lot quieter than the Phoenix and you can get seen quicker.

Chemists & Prescriptions

Chemists & Prescriptions

Chemists & Prescriptions

Out of Hours chemists

Chemists in Wolverhampton operate outside of standard hours on a rotational basis. To find out where there is an early or late opening chemist near you, you can check on the internet:

Chemists inside supermarkets tend to open for longer hours.

Asda Supermarket, Molineux Way,Waterloo Road,Wolverhampton,
Telephone:01902 778106
Monday – Friday 9am – 10pm,
Saturday 9am – 8pm and Sunday 10am-4pm.

Bus number 62 stops adjacent to the football ground.

Waitrose Pharmacy,  Penn Road, Wolverhampton, WV2 4NJ
Telephone: 01902 713974
Monday – Wednesday 8.30am-9pm,
Thursday 8:30am – 10pm,
Friday 8am – 10pm,
Saturday 8am – 9pm and Sunday 10.30am – 4.30pm.

Bus number 26.

Prescription collection

Co-op pharmacies will collect your repeat prescription for you, fill it and return it to your home, if you are unable to do so yourself by reason of disability or injury.
Co-op pharmacies can be found at;

High Street Bilston 01902 495225

Showell Circus, Wolverhampton 01902 732029

Bargate drive Wolverhampton 01902 420600

Bushbury Lane Wolverhampton 01902 789334

Pendeford Health Centre, Wolverhampton 01902 781844

Dudley Road, Wolverhampton 01902 459979

Jeffcock Road, Wolverhampton 01902 341300

Raynor Road, Wolverhampton 01902 731134

Stafford Road, Wolverhampton 01902 782135

Prescription charges and exemptions

Exemption certificate

If you have certain impairments you may be able to get an exemption certificate from the health service, by claiming on form FP92A, which you can get from your doctor.

People who may get exemptions include:

  • People with epilepsy receiving  anti-epilepsy medication
  • People with a permanent fistula (e.g. colostomy) that requires a continuous dressing or appliance
  • Treatment for cancer; note this includes treatment for the effects of cancer, or treatment for the effects of a current or previous cancer treatment.
  • Forms of hypoadrenalism such as Addison’s disease.
  • Diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism.
  • Diabetes mellitus except where treatment is by diet alone.
  • Hypoparathyroidism.
  • Myxoedema (underactive thyroid) or other conditions where thyroid hormone replacement is necessary.
  • Myasthenia gravis.
  • A continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without help from another person.


If you are pregnant or have had a child in the past year

You need to apply for a Maternity Exemption Card, using form FW8. The form is available from doctors, nurses, midwives and health visitors. You are required to complete the form and your doctor, nurse, midwife or health visitor will sign the form to confirm the information given by you is correct.

The card will last until 12 months after the expected date of the birth (you can apply for an extension if the baby is born late). If you have a Maternity Exemption Card all your prescriptions are free, whatever the medication is for.

If you are on a low income

Some people on a low income may qualify for help with prescription charges. Your entitlement to help is based on your circumstances, such as your level of income, savings, etc. You will have to fill in an HC1 form ‘Claim for Help with Health Costs’ giving various details of your circumstances and then send it off in the prepaid envelope provided.

You should be able to get the claim form from:

  • Your JobCentre Plus office.
  • An NHS hospital.
  • By phoning the NHS Formsline on 0845 610 1112, textphone: 08700 102 870.
  • Your dentist or optometrist (optician), who may stock them.

Prepayment certificate
If you do not qualify for an exemption certificate, you may be able to buy a pre-payment certificate, which may mean cheaper prescriptions.
These cost £29.10 for 3 months, or £104.00 for a year. If you have more than 4 items in 3 months, or 15 items in a year, you will save money by getting a prepayment certificate.
You apply on form FP95, which you can get from the chemist.