GP/nurse-led out of hours service
If your GP surgery is closed, you can get urgent out-of hours medical help from Wolverhampton Doctors on Call. This is only available if your problem is urgent and you cannot wait until your GP surgery is open.
The service runs and runs between 6.30pm and weekdays and all day on weekends and Bank Holidays. Doctors on Call is based at the Phoenix Centre.
The Phoenix centre is a walk-in centre in Parkfields that can be reached by bus – the bus service number 26 stops outside. The 558 stops on the Dudley road (about 100m away), and there is accessible parking.
The service is open 10am-7pm Monday to Friday, and 10am-4pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.
You may be referred there by the out-of-hours GP service, or you can use it as a walk in service, for the following:
- minor cuts, bruises, burns, scalds, head injuries, or insect bites
- muscle and joint injuries such as strains and sprains, back pain, tendonitis
- coughs, colds and flu-type symptoms
- headache and dizziness
- stomach ache, indigestion, constipation, vomiting and diarrhoea
- ear, nose and throat problems including minor infections, sore throats, earache
- eye problems such as conjunctivitis and styes
- skin complaints including rashes, minor allergic reactions, scabies, head lice, nappy rash
- genito-urinary complaints
- pregnancy testing/advice and referral, the ‘morning-after’ emergency contraception pill, sexual health/lifestyle advice
Showell Park Centre
Opening hours: 8am – 8pm seven days a week including bank holidays.
The Health and Walk-in Centre, based at Fifth Avenue, Low Hill, WV10 9ST.
Tel: 01902 446711 provides general GP facilities as well as being a walk-in centre (no appointment necessary) for minor illnesses and injuries that do not need hospital treatment.
People attending the Walk-in Centre do not need to be registered with the practice to use this facility.
Bus Service number 2 runs from the city centre to Fifth Ave.
The Walk in centre can be used for the same types of injury as the Phoenix Centre (above)
NB – this walk in centre is a lot quieter than the Phoenix and you can get seen quicker.