Since April 2013, community care grants system has been run by your local council.

Who can apply for a Crisis Award?

You can apply if you don’t have enough money to meet your (or your immediate family’s needs) and you meet all of the following criteria:

  • You are aged 16 or over.
  • You are legally resident in the UK
  • You have been resident in Wolverhampton for the past 6 months or 3 years out of the past 5 years – there are some exceptions to this such as care leavers in care outside the city area – please ask us about this
  • you do not have enough money to meet the cost of an item or service for you or your immediate family in the event of a disaster such as a flood or fire, or you have had to flee your home suddenly.
  • There is no other way to prevent serious damage or serious risk to your/your immediate family’s health and safety.

When considering applications for crisis awards we will take account of:

  • your circumstances and whether you can get help from other sources
  • any savings that you have.

It is a one-off grant that does not have to be paid back, and it will not affect any of your other benefits.

To apply you must be getting one of these:

Income Support,

income-related Employment and Support Allowance,

income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance,

Pension Credit,

or payment on account of one of them or be likely to get one of them in the next 6 weeks because you are moving out of a care home.

The amount you get in a Community Care loan depends on circumstances and need – if you have got savings of more than £500, you will get less.

You apply on form SF300, available from Jobcentre Plus or download one here>>

When you apply for a crisis loan, the Council automatically considers you for a community care award at the same time, so you dont have to apply for both.

You can use the Council’s website system to check on your eligibility, apply, or check the progress of your application here>>