Getting a GP

Getting a GP

To be seen by a GP you have to register with their practice.
You can get a list of GPs in Wolverhampton from:

Wolverhampton CCG

You can call them for a list on 01902 444878.
Or you can find out where there are GP surgeries near you that are accepting new NHS patients on the NHS website>

A surgery may refuse to accept you as a patient, if you do not live in their area, or if they have closed their list of patients.
Where a surgery does refuse to accept you, they must have reasonable grounds for doing so, which do not relate to race, gender, gender identity, social class, age, religion, sexual orientation, appearance, disability or medical condition, and they have to give you their reasons in writing.

Changing your GP

You have the right to change your Doctor without giving a reason.
However, you may find it difficult to find a new doctor, because many have a full list of patients, and may not be taking on new patients.
You should notify your old surgery when you have registered with a new one. The process is the same as above.

Pension Changes

Pension Changes

The Government is bringing forward the plan to increase the pension age. People who reach pension age between 2037-39 will be able to retire when they are 68.

The government is doing this because the cost of pensions is getting much greater, because people are living longer.

For people closer to retirement by November 2018 the pension age between men and women will be equalised to 65.
From November 2018- November 2020 retirement age will move from 65 to 66, and to 67 from 2026-2028.

If you want to check on how this effects you, people coming up to retirement in the next 20 years can check how the law applies to them on the government website, here



Universal Credit – Reasonable Adjustments

Universal Credit – Reasonable Adjustments

As a disabled person, the Equality Act allows you certain reasonable adjustments to a service to overcome disabling barriers. The Equality Act does not trump other laws such as Benefits legislation, but you can ask for reasonable adjustments to be written into your JSA or Universal Credit Claimant Agreement. The Forest of Dean CAB provide a useful list of the kind of reasonable adjustments you may be able to get depending on how your impairment affects you:

Altering the time of your signing on appointment or more flexible signing on times
Reducing the frequency of signing on
Help with completing forms
Help using a computer
Reducing the number of job applications you have to make
Change the type or location of work
Help with referral to a disability employment adviser
Not being referred to workfare (work for benefits)
programme making individuals undertake work in
Referring you to Access to Work Programme
Increasing sick time before sanctions are imposed
Varying or limiting the type of work in relation to your impairment
Varying or limiting the types of work according to the
Not sanctioning you for breaches that arise solely out of your impairment

Also, if you missed an appointment or commitment as a direct result of your impairment (eg a seizure, or a sickle cell crisis) you can appeal the sanction under s13 of the jobseekers allowance regulations, which states:

a client may ‘…restrict his availability in any way providing the restrictions are reasonable
in the light of his physical or mental condition.’

You need to give a decision maker medical evidence of the health condition and how it prevented you from meeting the commitment to appeal successfully.

Wolverhampton Advocacy Service

Wolverhampton Advocacy Service

WAS is run by One Voice and provides a free advocacy service for disabled people, people with substance misuse issues, older people, and family carers.

Advocacy helps you to help yourself by providing information and support on a wide range of issues, like your care plan and services, benefits, legal rights, employment, housing, fuel bills, complaints and other issues that affect the lives of our service users.

You can contact WAS by email:  or telephone us during office hours 8.30-4.00 monday to Friday.

Appointments are available from 8.30am – 7pm during weekdays and also on Saturday mornings.



Community Mental Health Teams

Community Mental Health Teams

Most services for mental health are accessed by referral from a GP or other professional.

There are three community mental health teams are based around the city, Steps to Health in the North East, The Croft Resource Centre serving the South East and Corner House Resource Centre in the South West.

The teams are made up of nurses, social workers, psychologists, doctors and occupational therapists.  They can also arrange for other services like outreach, day care, home treatment, employment services, carer support, inpatient treatment at Penn Hospital and other specialist services.

They will to assess your care needs, work out your care plan, and provide a care co-ordinator to keep in touch with you and to provide a review.

North Area:
Steps to Health, Wolverhampton City PCT, Showell Circus, Low Hill
Wolverhampton, WV10  9TH
Phone: 01902 444600 or 445871

Bus number 2

South East Area:
The Croft Resource Centre,87 Greencroft, Bilston, WV14 7NB
Phone: 01902 553914

Bus number 25 and 82

South West Area:
Corner House Resource Centre, 300 Dunstall Road, Whitmore Reans, Wolverhampton,  WV6 0NZ
Phone: 01902 553382 or 553876 or 553874

Bus number 25 and 62

All of these centres are GP referral only

Wolverhampton also runs a short-stay treatment centre called Recovery House in Low Hill, which provides intensive support for people with a mental health problem, and a stay of up to 2 weeks to try to prevent the person in crisis from having to go into hospital.